Curry with yogurt is my day saver sometimes, as because it's so easy to make and can be done with any veggies and the main thing is that it tastes so good and a very simple recipe to make on a busy day.
Well I always used to make this yogurt curry with just onions, but this time I wanted to try with a vegetable that would absorb the curry well, so I choose bottle gourd.
1 Bottle Gourd peeled, de-seeded and cubed
2 Cups Yogurt or 3 cups Buttermilk
1 Sprig Curry Leaves
2-3 Dry Red Chilies
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1/4 tsp Ginger and Garlic paste or chopped
1 tsp Turmeric powder
2-3 Green Chilies
1/2 tsp Coriander powder
1/4 tsp Cumin powder
1/4 tsp Chili powder
1/8 tsp Fenugreek powder
Salt as needed
1 tsp Oil
1. In a pressure cooker add little bit water, bottle gourd and cook it for one whistle. Allow it to cool until the pressure is gone.
2. In a kadai add oil and when it's hot enough add mustard seeds, when it starts to sputter, add curry leaves, dry red chilies and asafoetida powder.
3. Now lower the flame add ginger and garlic paste\chopped, saute it for a min, add all the masala powders, turmeric powder, salt, cumin powder, chili powder, coriander powder and fenugreeek powder.
4. Now add the cooked bottle gourd, and stir once, now slowly add yogurt or butter milk, stirring while adding the yogurt.
5. Now just warm it until it's hot to touch. Remove it from flame and stir it occasionally.
(Note: Stirring after adding yogurt/buttermilk is required to avoid cuddling of the yogurt/buttermilk)
6. Serve this with steamed rice.
You Might Also Like:
|"South Indian Cooking" (SIC) Series Event - # 1|