The very thought of having Stuffed Bajji's on a rainy evening sounds awesome. One can prepare Bajjis using Onions, Potatoes etc. This stuffed bajji / Milaga bajji as it is called in Tamil is prepared from Jalapenos. Jalapenos is a kind of chili which is less hotter in taste than the normal chilies used in cooking. For this reason it is widely used for preparing Milaga bajjis. The original name of this chili is Anaheium pepper which traces its origins from California.
Usually small / medium sized jalapenos are used in preparation. However this time, I have managed to prepare the same dish with larger sized Jalapenos with small frying pan which I have.(As i didn't get medium size jalapenos) I hope my experiment turns out to be great. This dish goes well with a hot mint chutney or any kind of sauce.
Anaheium Pepper / Jalapenos / Bajji milagai - 5
Besan (Gram Flour) - 1 cup
Red chili powder - 1 teaspoon
Salt - To taste
Oil - Sufficient amount needed for deep frying
Potato - 2 medium sized
Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Onion - 1 medium size, finely chopped
Asafoetida - A pinch
Garlic - 1/2 teaspoon minced
Coriander leaves - 2 strings, finely chopped,
Oil - 2 teaspoon
1) Wash the potatoes and pressure cook them.
2) When pressure subsides, take out the potatoes and peel their skin.
3) Mash them well using a steel masher or by hand.
4) Take a pan and add 2 teaspoon of oil.
5) Add cumin seeds and wait for seeds to splutter.
6) Add asefoetida and onion and saute them well till onions turn translucent.
7) Add mashed potatoes and salt. Fry them till you don't sense the raw smell of potato.
8) Once the potatoes are ready, keep it aside.
1) In a mixing bowl, add besan, red chili powder and salt. Add little water and prepare a batter.
2) It is enough to prepare a batter which is of medium thickness.
3) Now, take the jalapenos and wash them well. Then, wipe them using a clean towel.
4) Slice the Jalapenos in a vertical (lengthwise fashion) from the twig to the tail of it as shown in the Fig 1 (Sliced chillies)
|Fig 1 - Sliced Chillies|
5) If required, remove the seeds from the Jalapenos gently.
6) Stuff the potato mix inside the sliced Jalapenos using a spoon. Once it is stuffed, keep it aside. Repeat this step for the remaining Jalapenos.
7) The Stuffed jalapenos will appear as shown in Fig 2 (Stuffed chillies)
|Fig 2 - Stuffed Chillies|
8) Heat oil in a wide pan and add oil for deep frying.
9) When oil is hot, dip the stuffed jalapenos in the besan and fry them in oil.
10) When the stuffed Jalapenos are fried well, remove them from oil and serve with chutney or sauce. Fig 3 (Stuffed Chili Bajji Ready)
|Fig 3 - Stuffed Chili Bajji Ready|
I have tasted it and it is spicy and yummy. Don't you want to try this simple dish at your home? I am sure, you will.