Broken wheat is also called as Dalia or samba wheat. It can be served as a breakfast or as a dinner recipe. This healthy food goes well with curd. During early times it was prescribed as a standard dish for lunch for school going kids.
Broken wheat / Dalia / Samba wheat rava - 1 cup
Water - 2 cups
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Split urid dal - 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves - 10
Green chillies - 3 nos
Onion - 1 medium size,finely chopped
Oil - 2 teaspoon
1) Heat oil in a wide pan/kadai. Add mustard seeds and urid dal.
2) When mustard seeds splutter and pop up, add curry leaves and green chillies.
3) Add onions and fry them well.
4) Now, add salt and water and allow the water to boil.
5) Once the water starts to boil, add samba wheat slowly and stir continuously.
6) It requires continuous stirring for best results, otherwise it results in the formation of lumps .
7) Wait till the mixture is well cooked.
8) That's it. Samba wheat upma is ready to be served.
Note: You can carry on the same procedure in pressure cooker instead of a kadai till step 5. After step 5, close the cooker with its lid and wait for 2 whistles. Once the pressure decreases, open the lid and mix the contents well. This method is comparatively simpler.