The Mushroom looks strange as it shares striking similarities with an umbrella. It hails from the fungus
family and it is considered by many as a meat supplement for the
vegetarians. However few of us don't like this even though it is good in
tasty and nutritious. There are quite a lot of mushroom varieties among
which button mushrooms are widely used in cooking.The same variety I
used here for preparing this fried rice. I remove the the outer skin of the mushrooms and wipe the upper part
using a damp cloth for cleaning them. Also whenever I buy them, I tend
to use them as soon as possible, because they easily get spoilt and once
they are in that stage it is difficult to differentiate the good from
the bad mushrooms.
Mushroom - 1 cup, cleaned & sliced
Rice - 1.5 cup
Carrot - 1, finely chopped
Beans - 5 nos, finely chopped
Peas - 1/4 cup
Onion - 1 small size
Soy sauce - 1 tablespoonRed/green chilli sauce - 1 teaspoon
Salt - to taste
Pepper powder - 1 teaspoon
Oil - 3 teaspoons
Coriander leaves - 1 string, for garnishing
Spring onions - 2 nos, for garnishing
1) Clean the rice once or twice using water.
2) With one cup of rice, a teaspoon oil and salt. Pressure cook / boil the rice by adding 3 cups of water.
3) When rice is cooked, remove it from the cooker / pan and mix it gently.
4) Spread on wide plate to cool them. Instead you can also go for cold rice/left over rice for preparing fried rice.
5) Remove the stem of the mushoom and clean them using a wet towel.
6) Cut them into medium slices.
7) Meanwhile, take a pan and heat oil in it.8) Add finely chopped onion. Saute well. When they are half sauteed, add vegetables and sprinkle little water. Toss on high heat to cook the vegetables.
9) Add mushrooms to the pan.
10) Add salt, soya sauce, chilli sauce and pepper powder. Mix them well.
11) Toss for few minutes in low flame.
12) Mix the cooked rice with this and toss gently. Make sure the soy sauce is coated well with rice.
13) Garnish with coriander or chopped spring onions and serve the rice hot.
1) You can use either coriander leaves or spring onions for garnishing.
2) If you prefer washing mushrooms, then (pat)dry them well before adding to the pan.
3) Increase or decrease the pepper quantity according to your taste.