Cous cous is a type of semolina which is made from the hard / durum wheat. This type of wheat is used in preparing pasta and breads. Cous Cous is high in protein and gluten. It is served with meat stew or spicy vegetables around the world. The recipe shown below is prepared based on the spices available in India in a traditional desi style.
Cous cous - 1 cup
Water - 2 cups
Onion - 1 small size, finely sliced
Tomato - 1 large size
Red chili powder - 1 teaspoon
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds and urid dal - 1/2 teaspoon
Salt - To taste
Oil - 2 teaspoons
1) Cut tomato into small slices; grind them with red chili powder and keep this aside.
2) Take a wide pan and heat oil in it.
3) Add mustard seeds,urid dal when it is hot.
4) Once mustard seeds start to splutter, add onion and fry them.
5) Add a pinch of salt to cook onion quickly.
6) When onions turn half translucent, add ginger garlic paste and saute them well.
7) Now add ground tomato,red chili paste which we prepared in step 1.
8) Keep stirring to avoid the mixture getting burnt. Flame of the stove should be kept in medium level. Keep cooking till the raw smell of tomato goes off.
9) Add 2 cups of water and salt as per your taste.
10) Allow it to boil.
11) Add cous cous slowly and stir the contents using the other hand when the water is boiling.
12) Stir well and cook for few minutes.
13) When the water in the pan is absorbed by cous cous, turn off the flame.
14) This cous cous masalsa can be served directly or with any side dish of your choice. We enjoyed it with potato chips.