Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Latin Papaya Mint Salad


I remember the my childhood days, I used to love eating papaya a lot when it's in season. After I came to US, I tried to get it from the grocery stores, but it never tasted liked the one I used to eat back in India. I like it to be ripe and soft and swell. You can actually find out from the smell whether it's tastes good and sweet or not. But this time I got this from a local fresh food market, the raw one and left on the counter to ripen. First I was not sure how it would be, but it tasted way better than the ones I tired before in the US. So I tried this recipe, it's simple ingredients, added just to enhance the flavor of the colorful, vibrant sweet fruit and with a mind to keep it healthy too.

Ingredients:
------------
1 large Papaya, peeled, de-seeded and cubes to bite size pieces.
3 tsp Honey
1/4 cup of Mint sliced
1/4 Feta Cheese
2 tsp Lemon juice
Salt and Pepper to taste

Method:
---------
1. Placed the papaya cubes in a large serving bowl.
A short video on how to peel, de-seed and cube a papaya.

2. Add rest of the ingredients except the feta cheese and mix gently, making sure that the fruit does not break or gets mushy.
3. Crumble feta cheese over the top and serve cold or at room temperature.

Re-posting this recipe to send to the event "Salad Spread" hosted by Taste Junction