Carrot Poriyal is again a typical South Indian side dish. Carrot is a rich source of Vitamin A and also has high dietary fibre content. Moreover it is free of fat and cholesterol.
Carrots - 2 large size
Onion - 2 tablespoons, finely chopped
Green chillies - 3 nos, slit
Curry leaves - 1 string
Mustard seeds and urid dal - 1/2 teaspoon
Salt - to taste
Oil - 2 teaspoon
Grated coconut - 1/4 cup
Water - <1/4 cup
1) Scrap the outer skin of the carrots well to remove any dead skin or dust.
2) Cut them into small uniform sizes.
3) Take a frying pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds and urid dal.
4) When mustard seeds start to pop up, add curry leaves, green chillies and after few seconds, add chopped onions and saute them well.
5) When the onions become filmy (turn translucent in colour), add the chopped carrots. Then add salt to taste and sprinkle some water.
6) Close the frying pan with a lid and leave it to cook for few minutes till the carrots turn soft.
7) Now add grated coconuts and mix then gently. After few minutes transfer the contents from the stove to a bowl.
8) Carrot poriyal is now ready to be served.
1) If you microwave the carrots for few minutes before you actually start to cook then it requires only seasoning. Hence it saves time.
2) You can also use the same procedure for grated carrot also.