Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Lemon Rice


This recipe is a typical South Indian recipe, especially in Tamil Nadu. I always remember my Mom used to make this with either chicken fry or potato fry as a side for this lemon rice. This is one of  the favorite food for me and my brother. 
My Mom used to make this all the time when we go out for a long trip, just to avoid restaurant foods and we used to eat it, under a shaded tree near some fields on the way. It used to be fun.
I hope you guys will also try and like it. I made this with simple changes.

Ingredients:
------------
1 big Lemon, lemon juice extracted with seeds removed, and zest the lemon too and keep it aside.
1/4 cup Peanuts
1 tsp Mustard seeds
2-3 Dry Red Chilies
1-2 Green Chilies slit
1 sprig Curry Leaves
1/4 inch Ginger grated or minced
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
Salt to taste
1 tsp Oil
2 cups Cooked Rice ( I used Basmati rice)

Method:
---------
1. In a heavy bottom pan, add oil and when it's hot add peanuts and dry red chilies and fry them in medium flame until the peanuts turn slight brown.
2. Add the green chilies, curry leaves, ginger and asafoetida and saute it for a min.
3. Now add the turmeric powder and salt and off the flame. 
4. Add the rice and mix well and finally add the lemon juice and the zest of the lemon. Taste check for the tangy taste, you can add less or more according to your taste.
5. Serve this hot with any sides I mentioned earlier or just like this. This is a good recipe to take out while you are traveling. It will not spoil for at least a day.