When we say Upma, the dish that comes to our mind is 'Rava Upma'. It is a common breakfast recipe and can be cooked for all situations. However it is a tricky task to get the upma in the right manner and it is only possible by knowing the tricks of stirring and mixing the rava well.
Rava - 1 cup
Water - 2 cups
Onion - 1 chopped
Green chillies - 3
Chana dal - 1 tablespoon
Urid dal - 1/2 teaspoon
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves - 1 string
Salt - To taste
Oil - 3 teaspoon
1) Roast the rava well in the wide pan. Keep it aside when aroma starts coming from rava. Flame should be in low level when roasting.
2) Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and chana dal. Let the mustard seeds pop up.
3) Add urid dal, curry leaves and green chilies and fry for few seconds.
4) Add Onions and fry then until the onions turn translucent.
5) Add 2 cups of water and salt to taste. Stir it well and allow it to boil.
6) Now add rava slowly to the boiling water.Simultaneously keep stirring until the rava becomes thick.
7) Always keep the stove in low flame while adding rava in water. Continuous stirring is a trick to avoid lumps.
8) After few minutes, rava is cooked and ready to be served.