Thursday, March 17, 2011

Prawn Masala


Seafood is one of my favorites. I love to eat prawn both in gravy/semi gravy or just cooked with butter, salt and pepper and garlic with lime juice. Today I thought of making the masala prawn to go with the rasam I made. I very much like to eat prawns with rasam, which I think is a very good combination. I still remember in my childhood especially when I am sick with fever, mom definitely prepares rasam and this prawn fry or semi gravy. My mom used to feed me and once I ate all of the food she prepared. No one can beat a mom's love for their kids, my mom is not an exception. :-)

Ingredients:
------------
Little help on how to clean and de-vein a shrimp
---------------------------------------------------
1 lb Prawn - De-vein, shelled and cleaned
2 Onions sliced
2 Tomatoes sliced
2 green Chilies slit
1 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
1/4 Cumin seeds
1/4 Caraway seeds
1/4 Fennel seeds
1/2 Turmeric powder
1 tsp Red Chili powder
1 tsp Cumin powder
1 tsp Black Pepper powder
Salt to taste
2 tsp Oil
1/4 cup Cilantro chopped

Method:
---------
1. In a pan add oil and when it's hot enough add cumin, caraway and fennel seeds. When they turn slight brown add ginger-garlic paste and saute until the raw smell goes off and it turns slight brown.
2. Now add onions and saute it until it turns brown.
3. Add tomatoes and all the spices except pepper powder and garam masala powder - turmeric, chili and cumin powder and mix well and cover and cook in medium high heat.
4. Make sure the masala powders are cooked well with the tomatoes.
5. Add Shrimp, mix well and cover and cook for about 5 mins.
6. Open and keep stirring adding salt, garma masala and pepper powder and cook for another min.
7. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with steamed rice or roti's.