Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Chicken, Spinach and Artichoke Rice


Today I got some fresh baby spinach from fresh food market. I usually wilt the spinach down cool it and freeze it after putting it in a freezer bad. This is how I store spinach and use it later if I am not going to use it the same day, else it will stay in my fridge unused and get spoiled.
I had leftover rice from last night and wanted to use that up instead of cooking rice today and make another batch of leftovers. So I got a new idea to make a new recipe out of the leftovers. I remembered that I had put some of the Oven Fried Chicken in my freezer which I made the day before yesterday. So why not come up with new recipe??
Anush loved this rice because it was not spicy and it had chicken in it. :-)

Ingredients:
------------
1 can Artichoke hearts drained and chopped  lightly
1 breast piece of the Oven Fried Cicken (you can click the link to see the recipe) chopped
1 bag of spinach (chopped coarsely)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
1 small Onion chopped
1 cup Cooked Rice (I used Basmati Rice or you can cook rice with 1 cup of rice and 1 1/2 cups water)
1/4 tsp Garlic powder or 1 pod freshly chopped garlic
1 tbsp Butter
1 tsp Olive oil

Method:
---------
1. In a pan add olive oil and butter, add the garlic powder and onions and saute it until the onions turn transparent.
2. Add the spinach and artichokes, salt and pepper and cook for another minute.
3. Add the rice and chicken and mix well.
4. Off the flame and add the cheese and mix again and serve hot or warm.
Note: you can add scrambled egg or any other choice of meat to eat and also can top it with more cheese or crushed bacon.