Making pickle with apple, may be sounds crazy but I am sure after tasting this I liked this pickle more than any other pickle and bet you that you too will feel the same.
I tasted this pickle in one of our friends place and loved this and wanted to try it, but didn't have the recipe. So came up with my own recipe, you know...knowing the ingredients which would go into a pickle you can easily make it. This pickle can be made instantly and served right away whenever you are planning to call guests with a full Indian menu. Though pickles are meant to be made with lots of oil, this recipe does not take much and guess what it's made with apple, so I can say that this is a pickle with a healthy touch.
1 large Granny Smith Apple/ any firm green apple cubed to small pieces
1 sprig Curry leaves
5 pods of garlic crushed
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1 Lemon - juice extracted
1 tbsp Chili powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1/4 tsp Fenugreek powder
Salt to taste
2 tsp Oil (mustard oil is best used for pickles)
1. In a kadai add oil, when it's hot add the mustard seeds and when it starts to sputter add curry leaves, asafoetida and garlic.
2. Saute the garlic for about a minute, simmer the flame to low and now add all the spice powders.
3. Now add the apple and salt and mix well so that all the masala is incorporated well.
4. Now off the flame and add lemon juice and mix well again.
5. Serve this pickle when it reaches room temperature with curd rice or with any combination of Indian food.