This chutney recipe is little bit different from the usual coconut recipe. I came up with this recipe because I know that coconut flavor is enhanced with fried it an using it in recipes. So I just dry roasted it before grinding it in the mixer. I made this recipe for the Rava Corn Meal Idli's. You can click on the link to see the idli recipe of you can serve this chutney with dosa or the usual idli's too.
1/4 cup thinly sliced Shallots (I used the big ones)
1/4 cup dry grated Coconut
3 tbsp roasted split Chick Peas
1/2 + 1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
3-4 + 2 dry Red Chilies
1 Green Chili
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 Sprig Curry leaves
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1 tsp Oil
1. In a pan dry roast dry red chilies, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, green chiliesand cocnut. roast it until the coconut turns to slight brown. Off the flame and keep stirring to avoid the coconut from turning more brown. Allow it to cool.
2. Grind it to paste with salt and roasted spit chick peas in a mixer adding water to a paste.
3. In a seasoning pan, add oil and when it's hot add mustard seeds and when they start to sputter, add asafoetida, cumin seeds, dry red chilies and curry leaves.
4. When the dry red chilies try brown, add the shallots and fry until they turn brown.
5. Add the seasoning to the ground paste (chutney) and mix well to serve it with the idli or dosa.