Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Spring Bean Salad with Apricot Orange Vinaigrette


It's salad time...I usually don't eat salads, it's not because I don't like it but I always try to get some salads from grocery store and keep it in fridge and let them get spoil and throw in trash. So now I decided to eat salads at least once in a week from today. So I decided to eat every Tuesday nights and called it as "Tuesday Salads" and with no meat in it.:-)
And my inspiration behind this bean salad recipe is from Manjula's kitchen website. She is doing a bean salad contest for this month and so thought of trying some bean salad with spring colors and make it tasty and healthy so that I really don't miss my usual dinner on the plate. :-)
After I ate this salad I bet you, I was more satisfied with lots of yummy flavors going on in my mouth and filled my stomach more than ever and accomplished the first day of my goal. Hurry!!
Ingredients:
-----------

1. 1 can Black Beans rinsed and drained
2. 1 can Pineapple rings in pineapple juice - 5 pineapple rings chopped
3. 1 bag of Italian blend salad bag ( I used crunchy Romaine and zesty Red Cabbage, you can use any salad blend you like)


4. 1/4 cup Roasted Red Pepper chopped (I made this earlier at home just by putting the red bell pepper in a baking sheet lined with a parchment paper and put under the broiler in the oven and roast it for about 5 mins each side and remove it and place it in a freezer bag and zip it up and let it steam for about a 5 mins and remove and peel the charred skin and use it , you can get one from store) I am jut posting the picture for you.
5. 3 tbsp Cherry Pepper Slices chopped (optional or can reduce the quantity) (I used Bell-View brand which comes in a glass jar)
6. 1 medium size Shallots chopped
7. 1/4 tsp Chili powder
8. 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
9. Salt and Pepper to taste
10. 2 tbsp flat leaf Parsley chopped
11. Home made Apricot Orange Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
12. 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar (optional)


Method:
--------
APRICOT ORANGE VINEGRETTE RECIPE:
---------------------------------------------------
  • Ingredients:
  • --------------
  • 1/4 cup Apricot Preserves
  • 2 tbsp Orange Juice
  • 2 tbsp Rice Vinegar
  • 2 tbsp Canola oil
  • 1 tbsp Water
  • 1/8 tsp Salt
  • Dash of Black Pepper powder

Method:
----------
1. Place all ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid; shake well. Cover in a air-tight glass bottle in the fridge and use it as needed.

Assembling the Salad:
--------------------------
1. Wash the Italian salad and place it on a paper towel so that the extra water is drained off.
2. In another bowl mix all the ingredients except the Italian salad (beans, pineapple, shallots, salt, pepper, roasted red pepper, chili powder, cumin powder, apricot orange vinaigrette and apple cider vinegar).
Note: you can use the apricot orange vinaigrette as much as you need - I didn't measure it but may be I used a 1/4 cup or little bit more :-)
3. Now in a serving bowl or plate (I used a bowl), arrange the Italian salad and spoon the bean salad and enjoy your salad as much as I did.



Re-posting this recipe to send to the event "Salad Spread" hosted by Taste Junction