We have idli and dosa for most of the weekends as I get much time to prepare chutney and sambar which will be a nice combination. Today I thought of making idli for dinner, but didn't have any batter. So thought of this instant idli batter which is more healthier by adding vegetables to it. These idli's came out so good and it tasted better than the usual idli's.
I did make a little bit different way from the regular coconut chutney. So I named it as Fried Coconut Chutney. Click on the link to see the recipe. You can also see my recipe for Vegetable Sambar too.
for Idli Batter:
1 cup Rava
1/4 cup Yellow Corn Meal
1 cup thick Yogurt (I used Greek yogurt just for a change, you can use normal yogurt or 2 cups of buttermilk avoiding - if using buttermilk avoid adding water)
3/4 cup water
2 tbsp Eno (Fruit Salt)Salt to taste
1 English Cucumber chopped with skin on
1 small Onion chopped
1 Green Chili chopped
1/4 tsp Ginger
1 small carrot grated
10-12 French Beans chopped
1/4 frozen or fresh Green Peas
1/4 cup Cilantro chopped
Note: You can use any choice of vegetables
Salt and Pepper to taste.
2 tbsp crushed Curry leaves
1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Oil
1. Mix all the ingredients for the batter from the batter ingredients and keep it aside for about 15 mins to raise.
2. In a add oil, when it's hot add mustard seeds, add curry leaves and onion and green chilies, saute it for about a min.
3. Add the chopped vegetables onions, beans and carrots and saute it for about 3 mins or until they are 1/2 cooked.
4. now add the green peas and saute it again for 2 mins.
5. Now add the cucumber and saute it for about 1/2 min.
6. Add salt and pepper and add off the flame and mix well adding cilantro to it.
7. Add this vegetables to the idli batter and mix well.
8. In a idli cooker or pressure cooker grease the idli plates with a bit of oil and pour the batter and steam the idli's without whistle for about 15 mins in medium high heat or after you get steam you can cook if for more 7 mins, you can choose either way.
9. Off the flame and let it rest for about 5 mins and then open and keep it for more 2 mins before removing the idli's. Else it will be mushy, it needs to cook down a bit.
10. This is very tasty when served with this Fried Coconut Chutney and Vegetable Sambar.