This recipe is again my mom's and my mom's sisters recipe and this is a very traditional to Andhra cuisine. I can say that mom and my mom's sister prepares this recipe when we run out of vegetables in our house (he he!). I like this recipe very much to eat with steamed rice and ghee, which is optional. I love this recipe for two things, the first being that it's healthy and the second is that it's spicy and simple to make.
3/4 Toor Dal
1 tbsp Fenugreek seeds
2-3 cloves of Garlic with or without skin crushed
5-6 dry Red Chilies
1 tsp Oil
Salt to taste
1. Wash the dal/lentil and strain the water and keep it aside.
2. In a pan add oil, when it's medium hot add the dry red chilies and saute them until it's turns brown.
3. Add the fenugreek seeds and reduce the flame to minimum. The heat from the pan will be enough to turn the fenugreek seeds to brown.
4. Add the dal/lentil and saute it until it turns very slight brown. Off the flame.
5. In a pressure cooker add enough water (about 2 cups) and bring it to boil, add the dal and fenugreek and pressure cook it for 2-3 whistles.
6. Off the flame and let it cool or come to room temperature. Remove lid, mash the dal so that the red chilies are mashed completely. Serve this hot with steamed rice, ghee and papad.