One word to say about Carrot Halwa is "Yummy". Well it is one of the yummiest dishes I have prepared. Carrot as such is rich in Vitamin C and good for eyes and Carrot Halwa is good for your taste buds. The bright rich colour of this halwa makes this as a tempting dish that every connoisseur would appreciate. Here I present you the method for preparing simple, tasty and delicious Carrot Halwa.
Carrot - 2 cups grated
Milk - 1.5 cups
Sugar - 1 cup
Butter - 2 tablespoon
Cashew nuts - 10
Raisins - 10
Cardamon - 3 crushed
Ghee - 1 teaspoon
1) In a heavy bottomed kadai / frying pan, add 2 tablespoon of butter.
2) Once butter melts down, add cashew nuts and raisins.
3) Make sure the flame is in medium level.
4) Fry them till cashews become golden brown and raisins start to blow up.
5) Add grated carrots, cardamon and stir them well. Don't add water.
6) You would notice water content oozing out from the carrots after sometime. Don't worry, continue to stir well.
7) When the water content from the carrot gets evaporated, add milk and stir well.
8) Stir continuously till the milk reduces to half the added quantity.
9) Now taste the carrot and according to the carrot's sweetness , add sugar. It is not necessary to use the whole 1 cup of sugar as mentioned above in the ingredients.
10) Keep stirring the contents well and make sure the kadai doesn't get burnt.
11) When the milk gets absorbed and carrots get the texture of halwa, add ghee to it.
12) Remove from heat and allow it to cool.
13) Serve warm or chill it and serve as it suits your taste.
You can add cashew, raisins in the final step (step 11) along with the ghee instead of adding it in the beginning. Also you can not add cardamon directly to butter as they have a tendency to burst wide. Use crushed cardamon if you are going to use with hot butter/ghee/oil.