Bitter Gourd, what to tell about this vegetable. I know, I know, it's good for health, but since it's very bitter I usually back off, but lately I am trying to eat this at least once a month. Sounds funny right, but I am at least trying to eat, so that's not bad. :-)
This is a good start for those who don't like bitter gourd. :-)
3 medium size Bitter Gourd sliced to rounds
1 large or 2-3 medium Onions sliced
3 Tomatoes sliced
3-4 Garlic pods sliced
1/4 inch Ginger sliced
1 sprig Curry Leaves
1 Green Chili sliced
1/2 tsp Chili powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1 tsp Oil
1. In a bowl add the sliced bitter gourd and add around 2 tbsp salt and mix well and keep it aside for about 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, in a pan add oil and when it's hot add garlic, ginger, curry leaves and saute it until the garlic and ginger turns slight brown.
3. Now add the onions and green chili and saute it until the onions turn translucent.
4. Now add the tomatoes, turmeric powder, chili powder and little bit of salt and cover and cook it until the tomatoes become soft.
5. Now take the bitter gourd and squeeze out the water from it. Do this in batches so that you can take out the bitterness.
6. Now add the bitter gourd to the pan with onions and tomatoes and mix well.
7. Cover and cook for about 10-12 mins or until the bitter gourd is 3/4 cooked. Check on the salt, because you added it before to the bitter gourd, add some more salt if needed.
8. Serve this hot with steamed rice and with a combination of any Indian curry.