Sunday, August 26, 2007

Top 10 U.S. Cabinet Manufacturers Survey

I'm never one to shrink from controversy. As my regular readers can attest.

I recently aired my opinion on a couple of studies by J.D. Powers on consumer and contractor satisfaction with some low-end cabinet lines.

My opinion is that dealers know which cabinet lines offer the best value and are least problematic better than anyone else.

I also often get emails from consumers uncertain about their choices in cabinetry. They ask my opinion on their choices and I respond with what I know.

Every kitchen designer is going to have brands we prefer, because most of us are also kitchen dealers who represent and sell cabinetry.

As a former dealer who has renounced selling product for pure design, I am in a unique position to critique cabinet lines in ways that dealers wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

I have long encouraged my clients to use one of three cabinet lines that I have personally represented and found to be reliable, consistent and a good value for the money. These products are, in alphabethical order, Crystal, Woodharbor and Wood-Mode.

All are custom manufactured cabinets in the upper end of the price spectrum, but not ultra-high-end. Wood-Mode and Crystal also offer mid-priced and frameless lines. Woodharbor has three price point offerings (no frameless). All meet or exceed every iota of my minimum cabinet standards. All, except latecomer Woodharbor, are considered in the top tier of desirability by dealers.

Dealers COMPETE for these brands because of their desirability and cachet. Usually only the best dealers carry them.

Now. Because I have been using these product lines for 20+ years, and have dealers in my area with whom I like to work; I do not usually specify anything else. Therefore I am in as much of a rut as almost any dealer who represents a grouping of cabinet products (A dollar range of: usually low - middle- high; or sometimes middle - high- and ultra-high).

Therefore, I propose we do a survey of designers who frequent this blog asking them what cabinet lines they prefer and why. I would also like respondents to categorize the cost of the products as low-end, mid-price- high-end and ultra-high-end. ONLY preferred products are to be proposed for inclusion.

After I get some answers I will conduct a poll in the industry to rank the cabinet manufacturers according to several criteria suggested by the survey.

The winners will be the Top Ten in each price category.

There is another issue: Some great cabinet lines are regional, only selling within a few state area. Somehow I will have to deal with that, by separating the country into regions, if those manufacturers receive a lot of votes. Let's just say too, that cabinetmakers serving a small geographic area are not to be included. The manufacturer MUST be multi-state.

Please either comment here or send me an email to vote your choices. Consumers, this is not a poll for you. But you will benefit from the results, if I can pull it off. We'll see how the dealers respond.

Peggy