Saturday, May 24, 2008

Green Tea Chiffon Cake

I think I was quite brave to make this cake for my guests without any experience of this recipe and much time. Well, I really like to give it a try so I marblized some chinese red tea (红茶) with japanese green tea (抹茶) and hopefully they both could become a friend (kind of sensitive topic). Don't worry, I'm just talking about "Tea".
Somehow, the marble effect not very obvious because I've mixed too much during the marblized process. Without any chance to change the marble effect I shall continue with a simple decoration using some fresh cream and sprinkling some green tea and sugar powder mixture.
Well, by the time I cut it out, I still could see some marble effect but I believed without mixing too much it would be much prettier.
This cakes is full of tea flavour, especially the green tea. I store it in the fridge and serve it to my guests with this hot and humid weather.
Recipe for 24cm chiffon cake tin :

Egg whites 235g
Caster sugar 118g
Corn flour 13g

Egg yolks 90g
Water infused with red tea 78g
Vegetable oil 78g
Flour 118g
Caster sugar 25g
Green tea powder 7g
Water 25g

Fresh whipping cream 250g
Sugar powder 20g
Pinch of Sugar powder
Pinch Green tea powder

Method:

1. Whip the egg whites until peak form then slowly add in caster sugar continue whipping and until a shiny and smooth peak form. Add in the cornflour mix until combine.

2. Mix egg yolks, red tea, oil, flour and caster sugar until everything combine.

3. Add in 1/3 of the egg white mixture to (2) until combine. Then add half of the left over egg whites mixture. Then continue adding the remaining egg whites mixture. Slowly and gently combine everything.

4. In another clean bowl mix the green tea powder with water until it become a green tea paste.

5. Mix the green tea paste with 120g of the mixture (3).

6. Add mixture (5) to mixture (3) to make a marble effect. (not to mix too much)

7. Pour into the baking tin and bake 60minutes at 160'C.

8. Let the baked cake turn upside down for cooling before unmold it.

9. Whip the fresh cream with sugar powder and decorate it with your creativity.

10. I mixed some sugar powder with green tea powder to sprinkle on top of the cake.

11. Keep the cake in the fridge it could last for 4 - 5 days. Best serve in 3 days.