Monday, August 31, 2009

Pineapple Tart

OK, please don't laugh at me yea! I know it's not a right time to make pineapple tarts at this time of year. But, I'm craving for it very much recently. To fulfill my desirable, I've got to find a way to make it although I don't know how. I always admire those can make very yummy pineapple tarts. This recipe was given by a friend who sell many cookies in the CNY. She made very good pineapple tart and she is kind enough to share the recipe with me.
Finally I could make something for coming CNY, although it's still too far away :P That's give me plenty of time to practice. This recipe is just right to my taste. I like the pastry which is melt in the mouth but not fragile when I hold it with my fingers. The homemade pineapple fillings just suit to my taste which is not too dry or too wet.


After the first attempts, I realized that the reason of pineapple tarts are always expensive than other cookies because it's very time consuming. But the good things for homemade pineapple jam could be made earlier and store in the fridge until I've the mood of making it. My family members all like pineapple tarts, it's good to learn and make some for them.

Recipes given by Huey

For the pastry:
250g butter
30g icing sugar
1 egg yolk + 1/2 egg whites
360g plain flour
2 tbsp custard powder



Pineapple Jam Filling:
2 pineapples, grated
160g sugar (depends on the sweetness of pineapple)
2 cloves
3cm cinnamon stick
1 tbsp lime juice
1 egg, beaten for glazing
  1. Pineapple jam: Put all ingredients into a big pot, bring to boil, lower fire and leave to cook till almost dry, stirring once in a while. When almost dry, keep stirring to prevent it from burning until golden brown and dry. Leave to cool. Divide into small parts and form into balls.
  2. Pastry: Mix butter, icing sugar and egg yolk till creamy. Fold in flour and mix to form a dough. Place into the fridge to rest for 30 minutes.
  3. Put pastry into the mould and pipe 5cm length. Place filling at one end and roll up. Glaze with beaten egg.
  4. Bake at 180C till golden brown. Leave to cool before storing.