Saturday, August 08, 2009

Soft Sandwich Buns

After a first attempt on water roux recipe of milk crisp buns, here is my second attempt on this sandwich buns.

I've been using a hotdog bun recipe for my sandwiches and thought it's the softest bun recipe I could use. However, this new recipe really make me fall in love with it because its softness really surprise me and stay fresh for few days.

It's fun looking at the doughs baking in the oven while it's inflating. I like its chubby look.

Sandwich could be my everyday meal, no matter is breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack. Baby spinach, tomato, ham and cheese is the best sandwich ingredients for me.

These soft buns could use for making different kind of sandwiches, like egg mayonnaise, tuna, curry chicken..... you name it! I'll definitely put this at my dining menu.

Recipe for the 9 buns (approximately 60g for each dough): 195g bread flour / 90g plain flour / 12g milk powder / 30g caster sugar / 6g salt / 6g yeast / 60g beaten eggs / 65g water / 75g water roux / 45g unsalted butter
Recipe for the water dough "water roux": Cook 250g water with 50g bread flour at medium low heat, keep stirring until it become thicken and no lumps left. If you've a candy thermometer, measure it until the temperature turn to 65C then turn of the heat. I didn't measure it with thermometer, so I cook it until like a baby porridge. Transfer to a clean bowl and cover with a cling wrap to avoid skin forming. The amount of water dough here would be more than a recipe required, you could store it in a the fridge for 2 days, if the color turn to dark grey, feed the bin :P OK OK don't waste it, use it for making other doughs before it turn to dark grey color OK!

Methods:
  1. Put all the buns ingredients for kneading until smooth and elastic and the dough no more sticking at the side of the mixing bowl. Let it proof for 40 minutes in a clean bowl cover with cling wrap.
  2. Divide the dough into even size of 9 portions and shape it into smooth ball shape. Let is rest for 10 minutes. Flatten each dough with your hand and roll it out in longish shape. Roll it up to a sausage shape and seal it tightly.
  3. Prepare some water on a clean plate and place a kitchen towel on the top. Damp the surface of each dough and run the damp surface around a bowl of sesame seeds. Place on a baking tray and let the dough proof for 40 minutes.

  4. Bake at 180C for 15 minutes. Sandwich the buns with your favorites ingredients, enjoy!