Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Scones (Savoury)


I made some savory scones this morning and it took me no time to get a fresh yet delicious scones out from the oven. It's truly yummy with some cheese and back bacon added. I must say the crumbly and fluffy texture is a winner. One thing for sure it's got to be eaten warm. Anyway, it's really a simple and no much time consuming recipe that you can make it at anytime either in the morning or make it for afternoon tea. For me, it's my all time favorite snack! This great recipe came from "Do What I Like". I've slightly changed the recipe as I made it into a savoury version.


The first thing I do is making the buttermilk by adding two teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice to 150ml of full fat milk and let it stand for 30 minutes. If you've got the commercial buttermilk and that will safe you some time. While I was waiting for the buttermilk, I chopped two slices of back bacon and fried them in a pan until it slightly golden brown. Turn off the heat and let it cool down while I continue with other stuffs. Roughly cut 30g of cheddar cheese into little cubes. It don't have to be in good shape as it will melt and stick at the scones when it bakes in the oven. Shift 200g self-raising flour into a large bowl. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar. Give it a quick stir to combine with the flour. Roughly cut 50g of butter and quickly tuck it into the flour and rub in the butter until a crumbly consistency, it don't have to be well combined, you would rather let those tiny bits of butter stay in the flour. Just don't over combine. This took less then a minutes to combine and by this time the homemade buttermilk should be ready.


Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, pour in 2/3 of the buttermilk and use chopstick to mix everything until it turn into a mess. You don't want a smooth round dough but a sticky and messy mixture. If dough is too dry, add in more buttermilk. For me, 2/3 is more than enough for the mixture.Turn the mixture out onto a lightly floured working surface, add the fried bacon and cheddar cheese. Using both hand to bring everything together and pat the mixture into 2cm thickness. Cut the dough with 5.5cm floured cutter and pressed all the way down without twisting or turning the cutter. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper then glaze the surface with some leftover buttermilk. For more cheesy texture, sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese on top. Bake in a preheated oven at 220C for 15 minutes. Serve warm and no jam or cream needed. Enjoy!