Monday, March 15, 2010

Bournvita Semolina Cake and New Domain





Many of you must have known by now that I have a new domain. Since I haven't officially announced this change, I thought I should, in this post.

So here it is - http://www.indianvegetariankitchen.com/

Even if you type my old blog address, you will still be redirected to my new site. I am assuming you are getting updates in your reader and email after the change of address. If you are not getting my recipes, please leave a comment.

I really liked the Chocolate Halwa recipe posted by Jagruti. I tried it right away and it turned out absolutely yummy. I did make some changes to the original recipe. Instead of cocoa, I used bournvita. It gave a nice dark, rich color to the cake.

Ingredients:
Sooji/Semolina/Rava - 1/2 cup
Bournvita/Sweetened Cocoa/Drinking Chocolate - 1/2 cup
Milk - 1 cup
Sugar - 1/4 cup
Ghee/Clarified Butter - 1/4 cup
Broken Nuts - 2 tsp (optional)

Method:
Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan. Roast cashews and/or almonds till golden brown. Set aside.
In the same pan, roast semolina on low flame to light golden brown color (8-10 minutes).
Boil milk in another vessel.
When semolina is roasted well, add hot milk and stir continuously for a couple of minutes.
Add sugar, bournvita or cocoa and stir till they dissolve completely.
Add rest of the ghee and nuts and mix well.
Transfer the mixture to a greased plate and let it cool.
Cut into desired shapes or have it as halwa.