Friday, November 16, 2012

Kappa Chips / Maravalli Kizhangu Chips / Cassava Chips




We used to get cassavas in larger quantity in my native. During the weekly market in our native, few people sell boiled cassava with spicy red chutney and cassava chips. Both are very addictive and I always buy them whenever I go there.



Last time, when my dad visited us, he brought cassavas which had grown from our farm. I prepared chips using that. I have prepared these chips very long time back. Due to my system performance issue, I kept on postponing this recipe. Today I took it back but unfortunately I lost few pictures while transferring from my camera to the system. However, I have selected few pictures from the remaining collections and wrote a recipe for it.



Now, off to the recipe.



Basic Information:

Preparation Time: 30 minutes

Cooking Time: 25 minutes

Serves: 4




Kappa chips without Red Chilli Powder

Ingredients:



Kappa / Maravalli Kilangu / Cassava - 3 nos, large size

Red chilli powder - as required

Salt - as required

Oil - for deep frying



Method:



1) Peel the brown outer skin and thick white skin of the Cassava.

2) Using a very sharp knife or slicer, slice the cassava into thin round shape slices or cut them into thin sticks. I always prefer thin sticks and I chopped them as sticks.



3) Heat oil in a pan. When it is hot, add sliced Cassava. Fry till it turns into golden brown. It will take slightly longer time to get golden colour and also to get cripsy chips. So be patient.

4) Remove from oil and sprinkle required salt and red chilli powder. Add fried curry leaves if you prefer.

5) Serve with hot tea or coffee.