Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Methi Matar Malai


For the first time in my life, I had this dish in one of the Indian restaurants in Thailand a couple of months back. My husband and I always prefer Indian food wherever we travel. Fortunately we found an Indian restaurant near the hotel where we stayed. Initially we were a bit skeptical about that restaurant because we both were the only customers for them :-) for that night I believe. We ordered my all time favorite paneer butter masala, nans and rice. The manager suggested that methi matar malai was their speciality. So we ordered that as well. When the food came, we started to dig in. I loved both paneer butter masala and methi matar malai. It was way too good! I have not had such delicious food even in India. Apparently the chefs who cook there(in Thailand hotel) are from Taj Hotel(India). Food was a little expensive though. But it was worth every penny!

I was happy when Sujatha posted her Methi Malai Matar recipe. I made it today and totally loved it. I can't stop thinking about our trip to Thailand and the restaurant where we had this methi malai matar. It goes very well with nans/rotis. It is rich, creamy and delicious! Give it a try girls, you will go ga- ga over it :) I made a few additions to her recipe.

Sending this to Mansi's Vegetarian Thanksgiving-Recipe Carnival Event.
My version:

Ingredients:
Onion chopped-1 cup
Ginger chopped-1/2 tsp
Garlic chopped-1 pod
Jeera-1/2 tsp
Salt
Frozen Peas-3/4 cup
Methi leaves-1 cup
Kasuri methi crushed(optional)-a few strands
Green chilli-1
Oil-1 tbsp
Curd-1 tbsp
Half and Half(cream/malai)-1/2 cup or less depending on the consistency you want

Spice powders(quantity can be adjusted according to your taste buds):
Garam masala-1/2 tsp
Kitchen king masala(my gravies are never complete without this wonderful powder)-1/2 tsp
Chilli powder-1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Coriander powder-1/2 tsp

Method:
Heat oil. Tamper jeera. Fry onions, ginger, garlic, green chilli till onions turn golden brown. Sprinkle salt. Add fresh methi leaves. Fry for a couple of minutes till it shrinks. Add frozen peas, spice powders, curd and fry for a minute. Add Half and half. Bring the mixture to a boil. Add little water to desired consistency. Simmer for 2-3 mintues. Garnish with kasuri methi. Serve with nans or roti.