Monday, June 01, 2009

Braided Hotdog Bun

These are the real soft buns which the recipe from "孟老师的100道面包". I guess it would be the mashed potato make it so soft. But, I've probloem in shaping the dough nicely. The dough was a bit wet whereas I need to slightly oiled my hand to handle the dough. I think I'll shape it in a simple way next time rather than braiding the dough.
Anyway, the soft buns are really good to eat with some cheddar cheese topping and dried parsley for garnishment. I think this potato dough would be good for making others savory buns too!

Recipe (makes 5 buns):
(A)
110g bread flour
40g plain flour
15g caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
70g cold water
2g yeast (1/2 teaspoon)
30g mashed potato
(B)
15g butter
(C)
5 pieces hotdog
some shredded cheddar
some dried pasley
  1. Mix ingredients (A) at low speed using a dough hook mixer follow by the mashed potato. Turn to medium speed continue kneading until it become a smooth dough. Add in the (B) unsalted butter and knead with low speed until the butter combine with the dough. Turn to medium speed continue the kneading process until it become a smooth and elastic dough. (the dough will slightly wet, I oiled my hand then...) place the dough into a lightly grease bowl and cover with cling wrap to proof for 80 minutes.
  2. Divide the dough into 5 portions and round them into small balls. Let them rest for 10 minutes.
  3. Wrap the hotdog into each doughs and proof for 25 minutes.
  4. Egg wash the dough and sprinkle some shredder cheddar cheese and dried parsley. Bake at 190'c for 18 minutes until golden brown. Enjoy!