Monday, May 17, 2010

Peach Roll



There are so many different type of swiss rolls. Either made with chiffon base, whole egg sponge mix or separation of egg white and yolk mixing. I like the whole egg sponge base as I find it much easier to make and the texture is quite fluffy and soft. This time, I try a new method from 孟老师的美味蛋糕卷。She has five different methods of making swiss roll. Here is one that to whisk the egg whites until peak stiff then add in egg yolks. I find it quite interesting and the result was not bad. The texture is a bit different from the three methods that I've mentioned above. Not the fluffy type but soft and smooth. The good things is that the sponge can be easily roll up. 




As this is my first attempt, I hardly catch the right temperature to bake it although the recipe mentioned 190C from the top and 160C from the bottom heat but every oven had different temper. I've slightly over bake the sponge so I find it a bit dry, otherwise it would be perfect. If you dare to try out this recipe, you will know what I mean. Happy Baking!


Recipe for 36cm x 36cm


170g egg whites
110g caster sugar
80g egg yolks
105g plain flour
180g whipping cream
20g caster sugar
2 to 3 pieces can peach


Beat the egg whites until bubbles appear, gradually add in caster sugar and beat at high heat until peak stiff.

Add in all the egg yolks then continue to beat until thick batter.
Gently fold in plain flour until well combine.

Pour into a baking tray and spread evenly. Bake at 180C for about 15 minutes. Keep on eye so that it will not over baked.

Place the sponge on a cooling rack together with the baking paper once it come out from the oven. Gently tear out the baking paper.

Whisk the whipping cream with caster sugar then spread evenly on the sponge. Place some sliced peach on the sponge then roll it up. Roll up a layer of cling wrap and chill in the fridge for 1 hour before serve.