Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Fig Jam in Microwave

Fresh figs are in season now. I have only tasted the dried figs till now. And I have seen the fresh figs in pictures only. So you can imagine my joy when I first saw them in the market. Needless to say I bought them immediately. And figs are one fruit which cannot be stored for long. I made milkshake and there is so much that can be used in a milkshake. And I decided to make some jam. I wasn't sure if we are going to like it as jam. Finally was happy that I gave it a try. And making in microwave, it takes only 10 minutes.



You need

  • Fig puree - 1 1/4 cup (I used 10 nos)
  • Sugar - 1 cup
  • Lemon juice - 1 tblspn
  • Lemon zest - 1/4 tspn (optional)


 Method


I pureed the figs with the skin on. If you  see some blemishes, can gently remove that part alone. Quarter the figs and puree them coarsely. Take care not to make a fine paste.




Add sugar and mix well.



Microwave for 4 minutes. Add the lemon juice and lemon zest. Microwave for another 4 minutes. Check if the jam is set. I had to keep for another 2 minutes. Give a standing time of 5 minutes.


If you like your jam very sweet increase the sugar by another 1/4 cup. Enjoy it on a warm toast of bread.




 Fig jam is going to be part of Srivalli's 365 days of Mircowave Cooking