Monday, February 27, 2012

Raspberry Vinegar

I love my holidays in France.I also love to bring things back that I just can't find at home. This time one of those things was Maille Raspberry Vinegar, it's not even on their UK website. I use it in all sorts of things and it just adds a hint of flavour. Here is a good recipe for some homemade raspberry vinegar, ready for summer when we have a glut of them.

Place 450g of raspberries in a stainless steel or glass bowl and crush lightly with a fork or potato masher. Pour over 450ml of white wine vinegar, stir then cover and set aside for at least 2 days. Give the fruit an occasional stir. Drain the fruit through muslin and leave for 2 or 3 hours – longer if you have time. Pour the liquid into a stainless steel saucepan and tip in 80g of sugar. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, scraping off any foam. Leave to cool, pour into sterilised bottles and store in a cool dark place. It will last for a year.