Friday, January 04, 2013

Candied Orange Peel


I once saw this recipe in another blog, from that day I wanted to make this, but never bought any oranges. This week when I went to the fresh market I saw these beautiful and very bright oranges which attracted my eyes so much that I picked few and decided to make the orange peel. Now I am happy that I waited this long, maybe my heart was waiting for the best color of oranges :) or maybe I was just delaying thinking that it might be too hard a process. :) But I felt it was worth spending some time to get the best results.



Note: I would recommend to taste it and see it you need more or less, according to your taste

Method:
---------
1. Peel the orange skin with a sharp knife, drawing vertical lines, so that from each orange you get 5 peels.
2. Now in a medium sauce pan, add enough water along with the orange peels, bring it a boil and then in medium heat boil it more for 20 mins.


3. Remove the peels to a plate and allow it to sit for 2 mins.
4. Now with a sharp knife, slice the peel into two lengthwise.


5. Slice off the white part of the inner peel and save the orange part of the peel.
6. Now squeeze or in a juicer, get the juice of all the oranges and place it in a heavy bottom wide pan.


7. Add enough sugar mix it well and bring it to a boil, now add the saved peel, keep stirring now and then.
8. Cook it until the orange sugar syrup coats the peels and it's almost absorbed. Off the flame and allow it to cool a bit.
9. Now remove these peels separating each one on to a wire rack.
10. In a wide bowl, add crystal sugar, take each peel with a fork and coat each peel by shaking the bowl a bit, so that all the peel is coated with the sugar.


11. Place it again on a wire rack and let it cool and get stiff.
12. These peel can be used in any kind of baking or just eaten by itself.


You Might Also Like:
Orange Sweet CornItalian Blend Salad with OrangeCrunchy Orange Muffin Cookies