Sunday, January 13, 2013

Shankranthi Prasadam - Brown Rice Bellam Annam / Chakkara Pongal

HAPPY Shankranthi / Pongal / Lohri / Uttarayan to All!!


I remember, Mom makes this for almost every festival, basically I never used to like it. I never liked with the taste of jaggery. But this time we had a potluck and had to choose a recipe to do. Well I didn't have much choice, and I picked to do this because it would be a perfect recipe for the festival. First I was pretty nervous because I never made this and the second reason was that I wanted to make it with Brown Rice instead of white. So it was a challenge. But, the result was simply awesome, everyone liked it and even I liked it too.


Method:
---------
1. Wash rice in water, in a pressure cooker add milk and rice, pressure cook it for two whistles.


2. Allow the pressure to release and then open the cooker and mix the rice once.


3. In a heavy bottom pan, add jaggery, water and cardamom powder, bring it to a boil and keep stirring until all the jaggery is melted.


4. Strain this liquid and transfer back to the pan and make a syrup, until the liquid reduces to 1/3rd.
5. Now add this syrup to the cooked rice and stir until well blended and cook it in low flame for about 5 mins. (you can add more milk if you would like to).


6. Meanwhile in another pan, add ghee, when it's hot enough, add cashews and saute it until slightly golden brown, add the dried grapes and off the flame and keep stirring for a min.
7. Now add the ghee and nuts to the rice and mix it once and serve it warm or hot.


You Might Also Like:
Brown Rice KudumuluBaked Spicy Masala NutsBrown Rice Dosa