Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Marble Countertops in Your Kitchen?

I recently had a client who was enamored with some green marble countertops he had seen in a showroom display and wanted to use them in his own kitchen. I counseled him to beware because of the softness and stainability of marble.

This has been my practice throughout my 25 years as a kitchen designer. As a result I have seldom seen marble countertops installed in kitchens I have designed, except as pastry counters separated from everyday use.

Today I ran across a lengthy blog discussion on Apartment Therapy on just the subject of marble in the kitchen. Most of the posters seem to be biased toward using marble in their kitchens, so you have to read it with that understanding; but it is certainly a thorough analysis of the benefits and drawbacks.

I am a cook who likes countertops that are easy to care for and last a lifetime without great expense or drudgery. I have thoroughly loved the Corian countertops and integral sink in my own kitchen since they were installed in 1989 and I would do them again in any future kitchen (unless something better comes along).

For those of my clients who want the period look of marble I always recommend honed granite as an alternative that will be more stain and scratch resistant. There is a kitchen on my web site that shows this look.






















This particular granite is very light with some garnet crystals. Honing blurs and softens the graininess of the granite. The look isn't exactly the look of marble but the overall effect is of aged countertops.

The undermounted Corian sink also contributes to the aged look.



























So there are viable alternatives to fragile marble countertops in the kitchen for all but the most determined purists.

As a homeowner and cook you have to ask yourself how far you are willing to go in maintaining your own countertops. Answering that question will direct you toward the countertops that will serve your time constraints and aesthetic considerations as well.

Peggy