Collard Greens - 1 bunch
Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Salt - According to taste
Asafoetida - A pinch
Buttermilk - 2 cups (Preferably a little sour)
Green chillies - 2
Cumin seeds - 2 teaspoons
Coconut grated - 1/2 cup
Oil - 1 table spoon
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Cut and wash the collard greens and strain it and keep it aside.
- Grind the coconut, green chillies and the cumin seeds to a coarse paste and set it aside.
- In a pan, add oil, mustard seeds and cumin seeds and allow the mustard seeds to pop up.
- To this add the ground paste and fry till the raw smell from the masala goes away.
- Add salt according to your own taste.
- Add turmeric powder and Asafoetida.
- Now add the collard greens and cover it and cook for about 10 mins until the greens are cooked well and shrink in size.
- Now add the buttermilk and mix well and cook on low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Mor keerai is ready to be served hot with rice.
- Do not cook the dish on high heat after adding the buttermilk as it tends to curdle.
- If there is no sour buttermilk available, you can add 2 tablespoons of sour cream to the buttermilk and add it.