Thursday, February 03, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies


My Son loves chocolates a lot and me too :-). I was thinking about making these chocolate chip cookies from a long time, but didn’t get a chance. I remember making it once when I first came to the US and when Anush was not born, I don’t remember what exactly I did but, it didn’t turn out well, cos all the chocolate chips melted and I didn’t give much space b/w the cookies so it was a mess. This time it came out very good and perfect. I was so happy and my son also liked them a lot.
I now people don’t let their ids to eat chocolate, but I sometimes encourage him to eat ‘Dark Chocolate’ and too lie them a lot more than the ordinary chocolates. As I don’t prefer eating too sweet sweets or chocolates, I started eating these dark chocolates.
While we are speaking about dark chocolates, I would like to share some good aspects of eating dark chocolate.....

Chocolate is a range of products derived from cocoa, mixed with fat (i.e. cocoa butter and/or plant oils) and finely powdered sugar to produce a solid confection. There are several types of chocolate according to the proportion of cocoa used in a particular formulation.
Swiss Dark Chocolate
"Dark chocolate", also called "plain chocolate" or "black chocolate", is produced by adding fat and sugar to cocoa. It is chocolate with zero or much less milk than milk chocolate. The U.S. has no official definition for dark chocolate, only "sweet chocolate", which requires a mere 15% concentration of chocolate liquor. European rules specify a minimum of 35% cocoa solids. Dark chocolate can be eaten as is, or used in cooking, for which thicker, more expensive baking bars with higher cocoa percentages of up to 85%, or sometimes 99%, are sold. Dark is synonymous with semisweet, and extra dark with bittersweet, although the ratio of cocoa butter to solids may vary.
Now the recipe for my chocolate chip cookies....



Ingredients:
-------------
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups (about 12 ounces) semisweet and/or milk chocolate chips

Method:
---------
1.       Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter with both sugars; beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low; add the salt, vanilla, and eggs. Beat until well mixed, about 1 minute. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
2. Drop heaping tablespoon-size balls of dough about 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
3. 
 Bake until cookies are golden around the edges, but still soft in the center, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool on baking sheet 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.