Friday, April 06, 2012

Chicken Masala Dry - Oven Baked


Wow I always wanted to make this kind of chicken masala where all the masala is well coated to the chicken with no much gravy. I once had a get together and had to choose to make a dish. I choose chicken, but the problem was that I was running out of time that day. So I thought what if I make the masala ahead when I have time and then just put in the oven to bake and by the time I can have some time to get ready for the get together. Well I didn't know it would turn out so good. I really spent most of my time making this masala perfect so that what so ever happens in the oven would not spoil the taste at least. :) After I prepared it I didn't have time to even taste it to make sure everything was ok. But I really got nice comments from friends saying that it was very nice and asked about the recipe.

As I didn't have time, I could not take a picture of it. From that day one of the friends who tasted this chicken wanted the recipe, though I was willing to give the recipe before I could post it here.....she said she can wait. Wow, I really appreciate her....so finally I ended up making this recipe again and here is the pics....wow it took a long time for me to post it...but worth waiting I guess! :)

Ingredients:
------------
1 Whole Cut Up Chicken to medium pieces.
2 Red Onions sliced
2 tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
Salt to taste
1 tbsp Red Chili powder
2 tbsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Garam Masala powder
1/2 Cumin powder
1 Bay Leaf
1 tbsp Oil (I used Olive Oil)

Whole Garam Masala:
-----------------------
2-3 Green Cardamoms
5-6 Cloves
1 whole Cinnamon Stick
10-12 whole Black Peppercorns
1 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tsp Fennel Seeds

Method:
---------
1. In a mixer add all the whole garam masala and grind it to a coarse powder and keep it aside.
2. In a heavy bottom pan, add oil, when it's hot enough add the bay leaf, and lower the flame a bit and add the ginger garlic paste and cool/sate it until it turns golden brown and the raw smell is gone.
3. Now add the onions and sate them until they are golden brown.
4. Now add the ground garam masala, salt, chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder.
5. Add the tomatoes and let the masala and tomato to cook until the oil comes out for about 10-15 mins on medium to lower heat.
6. When it's completely cooked you can see that the masala color has changed to dark and it should not be watery but thick and dark color gravy.


7. Put the oven to 400F to preheat.
8. Now add the chicken, coat all the masala over the pieces properly and cook for about 4-5 mins on high flame and keep stirring occasionally so that it wont stick to the bottom.
9. Now transfer the chicken masala to a oven baking dish which is big enough to hold all the chicken to a kind of one layer.
10. Cook it for about 10-15 mins or until the chicken 's water is reduced lot or until the chicken is cooked 3/4th.
11. Now turn the oven to broil and cook another 5 mins. Now flip the chicken to cook the other side and also to reduce the extra gravy and cook it again for for another 5 mins.
12. After it's cooked transfer it to a serving dish and garnish with your choice of greens.


You Might Also Like:
Chicken Kabab
Chicken Chettinadu Masala
Chicken Curry