Saturday, October 06, 2012

Q & A on Painted and Glazed Cabinets

Q.
Hi Peggy
I'm hoping you can give me your advice.
We are building a new home and our cabinet company told me they do not recommend white antique glazed cabinets - due to the fact that they may crack over time - because it is a painted cabinet vs a stained cabinet ("and the wood needs to breathe").  
I cannot find any supporting evidence/opinions on this.  I have picked my color scheme and really want these cabinets - they will help me incorporate antique mahogany furniture into an open kitchen/ living room floor plan - with no formal dining room.  
We do live in south LA, but will have a foam insulated home and do not anticipate any moisture problems.
I really appreciate your advice - thanks
Hope your recuperation from knee surgery is going smooth!
Lisann
A.
 
Well Lisann, I can certainly see why you would hesitate about your decision if your chosen cabinet supplier is so dead-set against your choice! Needless to say they have had one, or more, very bad experiences with such a finish and a client who said the result was unacceptable (maybe a lawyer).
First, you need to determine whether their finishing department or separate sub-contractor is capable of achieving the finish you want. Ask them to produce a sample door in the style and wood you have chosen. Note where the seams in the door are. Then have them finish it exactly as you want.
Take the finished door home and expose it to a steamy bathroom for a few days (the door will swell imperceptibly). Then dry it out (The door will shrink). If it hasn't cracked at the seams, do this again until it does. The cracking at the seams is inevitable because the wood moves in different directions, expanding more with the grain direction than it does across the grain. Also, some woods expand and contract more than others. Specifically maple, which is often used for painted cabinets because of it's smooth, tight grain.
Assess the cracked door to see if you can live with it without being angry at yourself for wanting it and the cabinetmaker for allowing you to have it. After you finish with the door, give it back to the cabinetmaker so he can show future customers what it looks like.
If you decide not to proceed with the painted and glazed finish of your dreams, you are of the camp that prefers cabinet doors that look like they are made of plastic and not real wood. If you decide to go ahead, you are of the camp that realizes that wood, by its very nature, expands and contracts with seasonal conditions.
I am of the second camp myself. I have a feeling you may be as well. 
There is a second possibility here as well: That your chosen cabinetmaker is not capable of producing the fine finish you long for. If that's the case, you will find that out by having them produce the sample door as above. Then you can proceed to find another cabinetmaker or finisher to give you what you want.

Good luck with your project!
My knee has healed just fine.
Thank you for your concern Lisann.
 
At 69, going on 70 in January, I have retired from designing and am devoting most of my time to Deras family genealogy.
 
I still maintain my blogs and answer questions though.
I'm glad to see the Industry coming back from a five-year very difficult time.
Peggy