Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Ragi Poori / Puffed Indian Bread using Ragi Flour




I usually prepare Ragi Sankatti, Ragi buttermilk and Ragi pakoda using ragi flour. All of them are yet to come from my kitchen to on line. This time, for a change I prepared Ragi poori for a change. The reason is very simple. I found the opened pack of ragi flour untouched, when I cleaned my pantry last time. As It was in very small quantity(only one cup), I added it with wheat flour and prepared poories/puries. Most of the poories/puries were puffed up well but you have to put some extra care/effort while rolling the poories/puries. I used more flour for dusting to roll perfect poories/puries.



Basic Information:

Preparation Time: 25 minutes

Cooking Time: 15 minutes

Makes: 20-25 small poories/puries



Ingredients:



Ragi Flour - 1 cup

Wheat Flour - 1 and 1/4 cup

Wheat flour - for dusting and rolling poories

Salt - to taste

Oil - 2 teaspoons + For frying

Water - Slightly less than 1/2 cup or as required to make tight dough







Method:



1) Mix wheat flour and ragi flour in a mixing bowl.

2) Add salt and make a tight dough by adding water little at a time.

3) Divide the dough into small equal parts and make smooth balls.

4) Roll each of the balls into poories using a rolling pan.



5) Heat oil in frying pan/Kadai. When it is hot enough and not smoking, add rolled poories one by one and fry them.

6) When both the sides are cooked well, transfer the poories to a plate covered with kitchen tissue to absorb excess oil if any.

7) Serve hot with potato kurma(Kilangu Masala)