Sunday, June 01, 2008

Banana Walnut Cake

I started my baking journey 4 years ago in Taipei when my hubby was working there for 7 months. The first cake I baked was Banana Walnut Cake. I still remember I didn't have any baking experience at that time and also didn't have an oven so I urged my hubby to get a small little toaster for me to try baking some small cakes (which I thought this toaster could bake cake).This little toaster had no temperature control system and the size was just enough to place two pieces of bread. So, I bought a tin (this tin normally used for take away food) which the size was just enough to fit in the toaster.

With no temperature control system, my first banana cake was burnt. The upper part of the cake was over cooked and when I inserted a tooth pick into the center of the cake, the result came out was under cooked. So the second time I used a piece of aluminium foil to make a roof top for the cake tin so that the heat will not heat directly to the cake surface. I took one hour to bake the cake but it was still undercooked. The third time I tried using aluminium foil and poked a few little holes on top of the aluminium "roof" so that the heat could help the cakes rise and cook faster.

Finally, I had this banana cake baked within 30 minutes and the cake was cooked very well. From this experience, I learned how to control temperature in baking cakes. So, whenever I baked banana cake, it reminded me the first ever experience I have.
Now, this was the latest version of Banana Walnut Cake I baked days ago. I added in some toasted walnut and chopped it into small pieces so whenever there is a bite I will feel some nutty flavor and crunch in it.
I find this is kind of light and soft cake which is not too sweet as the natural sweetness from the fresh banana is just so real and you don't really need to add in any banana essence. I just added some low fat natural yogurt to give a much better texture.

Recipe for 17 x 8 x 6cm loaf tin:

Unsalted butter 60g
Sugar 80g
Egg 1
Plain flour 120g
Baking soda 1/2 teaspoon
Baking powder 1/4 teaspoon
Pinch of salt
Low fat natural yoghurt 80g
Mashed banana 100g
Toasted walnut (chopped)

1. Whisk butter with sugar (add little by little) until light and pale in color.
2. Mix in egg follow by baking soda, baking powder and salt until well combine.
3. Add in mashed banana and mix until combine (not to mix too much).
4. Add in 1/3 of the plain flour and follow by the rest.
5. Mix in the yogurt until combine then fold in the chopped walnut.
6. Bake in a preheat oven at 180'C for about 50 - 60 minutes.