My hubby love all the Kizangu varieties (Tuberous plants). Sweet potatoes, in my home, we normally pressure cook them with little salt. eat them as such (ofcourse we peel the skin). we love it. My chithi(mom's sister), used to make it often for us. After coming to my in-law's place i learned how to make podimass with it.This Sweet Potato fry was tried just like that to see whether it tastes great like the normal potato fry. And know what? it did, really did. Try it for yourself.
Sweet Potatoes - 3 to 4 Medium sized.
Chilli powder - 1 tbsp (u can increase this, if u want it more spicy!!!!!!)
Salt to taste
Canola oil - 2 tbsp
mustard seeds - 1 tsp
chana dal - 1 1/2 tsp
hing - a pinch
- Cook Sweet potatoes in a pan of water till fork tender. When the water starts boiling, Switch it off and Keep the vessel closed for 10 minutes. This way you will get fork tender Sweet Potatoes.Drain the excess water,
- Heat oil in a Non-stick pan, splutter mustard seeds, add chana dal, hing, turmeric, curry leaves.Saute till chana dal turns brown.
- Add cooked sweet potatoes and saute.
|New Click on Tamil New Year's Day!!!!|
- Add Red chili powder and Salt and mix well. Cook in slow flame, till potatoes are roasted.
- Do not Mix the potatoes often, this might make them mushy. Instead try giving a stir by tossing the pan.
- Serve Warm with any Kalandha saadam (Mixed Rice), it tastes great.