Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Lemon Pound Cake



Hello! I'm still alive! Please don't forget about me. I know I haven't been doing much baking but I'm still reading all your lovely updates. Here is the latest update of my baking, Lemon Pound Cake. It's very unusual of me baking a butter cake for my own consumption.  




Well, this is my first attempt on pound cake and I choose the most easiest recipe and also my favorite lemon flavor. Another reason for choosing this recipe because the batter is small enough to fit into my Daiso pound cake pan. I'm quite happy with my first pound cake. It's nicely baked and the lemony taste gives the cake a lighter texture. I use to bake banana loaf cake to give away and now here is another good choice. I like this pound cake and hope you do.


Recipe from 点心达人,轻松学 
(Pound cake pan 18 x 8 x 6.5cm)


100g plain flour
30g ground almond
1/3 teaspoon baking powder
120g unsalted butter
50g caster sugar (I used 30g)
2 egg yolks
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 lemon zest 
1 drop vanilla extract
2 egg whites
50g caster sugar


  • Grease and line the pound cake pan with baking paper. Shift the flour, baking powder and ground almond.

  • In a clean bow, beat the butter then gradually add in the caster sugar until the sugar dissolved into the butter and the mixture become pale in color.

  • Mix in the egg yolk one at a time until just combine. Then  mix in the lemon juice and zest together with the vanilla extract. 

  • In another clean bowl, beat the egg whites with a pinch of sugar until the bubbles appear then add 1/3 of the sugar. Gradually beat in the rest of the sugar until the egg whites become peak foam. 

  • Gently mix in half the egg whites into the butter lemon mixture, don't have to mix too much. Then mix in half of the flour ingredients and combine everything. 

  • Gently fold in the remaining egg whites then add the remaining flour ingredients until well combine.

  • Pour the batter into the pound cake pan and bake in a 170C preheated oven for 10 minutes. 

  • Took it out and use a knife to cut a line at the center of the batter, continue to bake for 35 to 40 minutes until and skewer insert into the cake and come out clean.

  • Let it cool down on a wire rack and enjoy!