Thursday, April 29, 2010

Q & A on Refinishing Existing Cabinets

Q.

Many years ago we had a carpenter build our kitchen cabinets (built-in). The finish used was called Hard Seal because it was "green" and so were we. To be fair, I'm not sure the manufacturer would recommend it to seal kitchen cabinets. The cabinets are in dire need of refinishing, but we are stuck with what to use. We don't want to paint the beautiful wood, but can't figure out a tough sealer that will withstand kitchen cleaning. Do you have any recommendations?

Deb

A.

Hi Deb,

I'm afraid I don't know anyone to refinish your cabinets except one really great finisher who does faux finishes (expensive).
He may be able to give you a lead.


Gregory Dixon
Corinthian Decorative Painting
2283 Jackson St
San Francisco , CA 94115
415-923-0500

I know there was someone from the East Bay who contacted me a while back, but I have never used them on a project.
I have pasted in my emails with the marketer who contacted me in 2007 below.
I have no idea if they are still in business today.
Best of luck with your project.

Peggy


At 08:39 PM 1/6/2007, you wrote: Hello,

This is Marc Blackmon. I am the Executive Representative for a re-finishing company. I work with Doors And Drawers in Benicia, CA. I am quite impressed with the layouts that are included on your web-site. I was inquiring on behalf of Doors and Drawers to see if your company does the refinishing internally. My inquiry purpose is due to our company wanting to partner with a top-notch cabinet company. We have done work with numerous well-known cabinet companies. We have been very successful. Like any successful business we are always looking to expand. To not take too much of your time and to keep this brief I would like to just compliment you on your work and leave you with my information. I am consistently in the area on various jobs and if there was a chance that we could meet and further discuss potential business I'd gladly appreciate it. I know how busy you must be and I truly appreciate your time.

Thank You So Much,
Marc Blackmon Executive Representative 5000 E Second St. Suite M Benicia, CA 94510 707-421-8424 Shop
Marcblackmon@yahoo.com

Hi Mark,

I almost always deal with pre-finished manufactured cabinets for my clients. I do not sell product, but instead recommend a course of action based on the needs of the client and project. Occasionally I recommend refacing and/or local custom and then need to find a refinisher or finisher. I am interested to know about your processes. Do you use catalyzed varnishes and paints? If so I want more information.

Peggy


Hello Peggy,

I appreciate your response.

In each project we paint with a conversion varnish. It is catalyzed and reduced. We do everything from staining, painting/glazing, and coloring. All work that is done starts and is completed in house. Furthermore, we color-match to the client's desire. Not to mention we do pre-finished cabinets as well as we do the refinishing. We have specialized in changing oak to paint-grade, which has been a huge success.

Our clientele ranges from the North Bay all the way to the South Bay. We don't have any particular territories or boundaries. I'd love to give you more information.

Please let me know if you would potentially be interested in meeting, so that I could show you some samples of Doors and Drawers work. We are looking to expand and any referrals or references would be greatly appreciated. I truly appreciate your time and consideration.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank You So Much,

Marc Blackmon Executive Representative/Finisher
marcblackmon@yahoo.com
707-421-8424 Shop

Q.

Oh, gosh, sorry I didn't say...we are on the East Coast and this is a DIY project.We read you because you are so practical with your advice.

We are using your suggestions to remodel our home for the final time -- we are in our sixties. We are focused on practical and easy to clean (very arthritic hands & knees).

Since you wrote that article on cabinet finishes we were wondering if you know of something a homeowner could use; it isn't as though we can send out the cabinets for re-finishing We'd just hate to paint the beauties.

Either way, we are exploring things -- Corian, for example -- that we would not have considered before because we are so traditional. But by this time in life I have neither the energy nor the hand dexterity and strength to be making cleaning poultices for marble. "Keep it simple and keep it clean" is our motto now.

To that end we are dismantling the majority of home so we can live in the 870 sq. ft. left. I know, everyone thinks we are crazy; they worry about the "loss of investment". But we worry about having to move from the 12 acres we have tended over the decades, with apple trees and plum trees, berry bushes and gardens. That is the investment we do not want to lose. So we are taking out the tub and installing grab bars in a walk-in shower, siding with vinyl, replacing the wood stove with radiant, preparing for the winter of our lives in the place we have loved.

A.

Well, if painting contractors are using water-based catalyzed varnish, there probably isn't any reason why really dedicated DIYers couldn't master applying it.

I suggest that you do a search in your area for a really good paint store and ask them about the process and whether you would be able to handle it.

I have not personally worked with the stuff, so I don't know what preparation or equipment might be needed.

Catalyzed varnish, for years, was the purview of cabinet manufacturers only. It was far too complex and expensive to be done in anything but a factory setting. Now, with the (fairly) new water-based catalyzed varnish finishes, painting contractors here, and probably all over the country, are experimenting with it.

I DO warn you though: refinishing cabinets is not for the casual Do-It-Yourselfer. It is a tedious and unendingly torturous task.

Guardsman was always the best catalyzed varnish that cabinet manufacturers used. You could contact them as well and ask about where to buy their water-based catalyzed varnish material and suggested application techniques. Then decide whether to DIY or hire an experienced refinisher.

Peggy