Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Dry Mango Pickle





Mango!! ..name itself makes my mouth water. I like raw mangoes and used to eat a lot when I was young. Now that I am in US, don't get much to eat them. So when I went to India this time...mom made this dry mango...by cutting raw mango pieces mixed them with rock salt and dried them for days in sun and packed this for me. I found this very hard to eat so thought of making this pickle recipe, which turned out to be good tasting one.

Ingredients:
------------
2 cups Dried mango pieces ( can substitute with dry mango powder too)
1 Whole Garlic Pod
1 Sprig Curry leaves
1 tbsp Mustard Seeds
1/2 tsp Asafoetida powder
3 tbsp Oil
1/2 cup Tomato Puree/Sauce
2 tbsp Red Chili powder
1/2 tsp Paprika Powder
1/4 tsp Fenugreek powder
1/2 Turmeric powder
Salt to taste (if needed. as the dry mango has salt to it)

Method:
--------
1. Take the dried mango pieces and roughly run it for a minute in a chopper so that the big pieces break to a crumbly like texture. keep it aside.
2. Peel the garlic and cut into slices.
3. In a non-stick kadai/pan add oil, when the oil is medium hot add mustard seeds, when the splutter add asafoetida, curry leaves and garlic. fry them for a minute.
4. Add tomato puree, turmeric powder, fenugreek powder, chili powder and paprika powder mix well. Cover and cook until the oil is seen.
5. Now add the mango pieces and mix well and cook for another 5 minutes.
6. You can eat this as a pickle served with curd rice. I did serve this with chicken biriyani and raita.