Saturday, April 23, 2011

Pan Fried Okra (Bindi)


We love okra and especially when it's sauted or fried in a pan. Anush liked to eat it raw. I remember my Mom saying that if you eat raw okra, you will do good with mathematics. I don't know how true it is, but I really laugh at Anush when he eats it. I can eat cooked but not raw because I feel it's slimy and mushy. I know raw or half cooked vegetables are good for you, but raw okra is not in my list, but definitely will appreciate Anush eating it. :-)

Ingredients:
------------
1 lb Orka
1/4 Gram Flour (Besan)
1/4 cup Coriander powder
2 tsp Chili powder
1 tsp Cumin powder
1 tsp Gram masala powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 1/2 tsp Oil

Method:
---------
1. Wash okra, drain all the water and wrap in a paper towel or kitchen towel so that there is no moisture and the okra should be dry, else it will make the recipe mushy and will not fry well.
2. Slice the okra into quarters.
3. In a small bowl add gram flour, salt and pepper, cumin, chili, coriander and garam masala powder. Sprinkle this flour over the okra and make sure all the okra is well coated and keep it aside for about 15-20 mins.
4. In a large pan add oil and when it's hot add the okra, make sure that you don't over crowd the pan and keep the flame in medium high, stirring it occasionally until the okra is cooked and crisp on the outside for about 10-12 mins.
5. Serve this hot or warm with any steamed rice or roti.