Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Paneer Peas Rajgira Paratha

Rajgira/Amaranth flour is completely new to me.  I might have come across this flour in any of the food blogs and I'm sure I haven't bothered to find out more since I knew I would not able to find it in my area. Now that I am in a new city, I happened to see the packet of flour in a nearby provision store.  Telling myself that I can google and find out what could be done with it, I bought a packet.



Amaranth flour is made from the seeds and its gluten free. And its mostly considered as upvaas/fasting food when one abstains from eating any cereals. Since it is gluten free and cooked on fasting days, potatoes are invariably added while making tikkis/parathas. I was impressed with the nutritional information found here
Amaranth flour contains more fiber and iron than wheat and it is a good source of calcium. Amaranth flour is high in protein and when it is used in combination with other flours (such as wheat), the protein value is as beneficial as fish or poultry.
You can read about more about it from here, here and here

I did not add potatoes to my parathas and instead used wheat flour for gluten.

You need
  • Rajgira/Amaranth flour - 1 cup
  • Wheat flour - 2 tblspn
  • Salt- 1/4 tspn
  • Red chilli powder - 1/4 tspn
  • Wheat flour for dusting

For Filling

  • Grated paneer - 1/2 cup
  • Fresh peas - 1/2 cup
  • Green chilly - 2nos
  • Lemon juice - 1/2 tspn
  • Salt to taste
Method
Microwave peas for 5 minutes or blanch in hot water for 10 minutes. You can use fresh peas as it  is. But I don't like the raw smell of peas. Grind the peas and green chilly together. Don't add water. It need not be very smooth. The peas should be crushed enough that it doesn't stick out while rolling.  Mix the grated paneer, ground peas+chilly paste, lemon juice and salt in a bowl. Divide into 6 portions.


Take the ingredients for the paratha in a bowl. Add enough water to get a smooth dough. Divide the dough into 6 balls.



Take one ball and roll into a small circle. Place the filling.


Gather the ends and close it. Keep the closed end down and roll out into paratha. Dust with wheat flour as you roll. Since the rajgira flour doesn't have any gluten, be gentle while you roll.



Heat a griddle and smear oil on it. Cook the parathas on both sides. Drizzle oil around the paratha while cooking. Enjoy these delicious, soft parathas with a side of a cup  of curd and your favorite pickle.




Check out my Blogging Marathoners doing Group 3 BM#4 along with me

Diabetes Diet/Management: Kamalika, Smitha, Suma
Kid Friendly Recipes: Anusha, Cool Lassi(e)

Seven Days of Soup: Priya Suresh
Seven Days of Indian Bread: Pavani
Seven Days of Cakes:  Priya Vasu
Seven Days of Preserves: Gayathri Kumar, Vaishali
30 Minutes Meals: Priya Mahadevan, Srivalli