Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Ragi Kozhakattai(Fingermillet Steamed Balls)



Ragi puttu recipe from Divya's blog seemed very easy. So I tried it today. I didn't make any changes to her recipe except that I dry roasted Rice flour for 2 minutes and added Ragi and roasted for another minute.Then I shaped them into small oval balls. It tasted more like kozhakattai to me. For original recipe, click here.

100g of Ragi has about 7 grams of protein and 3.6 grams of fiber.
I will jot down the recipe here.

Ingredients:
Ragi flour-1 cup
Rice Flour-1/4 cup
Brown Sugar-1/4 cup
Coconut-1/4 cup
Cardamom powder- a pinch

Method:
Dry roast Rice flour for 2 minutes. Then add Ragi flour and roast for another minute. Turn off the heat. Add rest of the ingredients. Sprinkle water(about 1/4 cup) little by little to wet the mixture. It should look crumbly and you should be able to roll into balls. Be very careful when adding water. Steam the balls in idli plate for 8 minutes.

This goes to the following events.

Sangeeth's Eat healthy-during pregnancy
Ramki's Recipes for the rest of us