Sunday, January 11, 2009

Express Tomato Sambar for idly/dosa & Rava Onion Oothappam



This is not a regular sambar. As the name suggests, it can be made in a jiffy using very few ingredients. It goes great with idly/dosa and I am sure you will like it. I learned it from my neighbor.

Ingredients:
To pressure cook with water until done(5-6 whistles):
Thur dhal-1/2 cup
Chopped Tomatoes-5(medium) or 6(small)
Garlic-4 pods

To tamper in 1 tbsp oil:
Jeera-1 tsp
Red Chillis-5

Other ingredients:
Salt
Coriander leaves to garnish

Method:
Pressure cook the ingredients mentioned above.
Tamper jeera and red chillis in oil. Add it to the cooked dhal+tomato mixture. Add salt.
Mix well. Using a hand blender, blend the mixture to a smooth and creamy paste. The consistency should be like that of a soup. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with dosas/idly.

Note:If you don't have a hand blender, you may dry grind red chillis, then do the tampering in oil and add it to tomato dhal mixture. Smash the mixture well with back side of a ladle.

Some friends emailed me and asked if they have to add sambar powder. No. Do not add sambar powder. It will alter the taste.

Since we are not adding tamarind, we use lots of tomatoes in this recipe.

This goes to Susan and Srivalli's My Legume love affair-seventh helping event. Isn't the logo cute? I love the colors.

Let's move on to the next dish. Bindiya visited my blog recently and posted her comment. As usual, I was curious to check out her kitchen. Her rava masala oothapam caught my eye. I made it today without making any changes to her recipe. It was a hit. Oothappams were crispy on the edges and soft on the inside. Yummy!