Sunday, January 18, 2009

Onion Sweet, Sour & Spicy curry



Don't have any veggies in the fridge? Then try this hot and sour, sweet and tangy curry. I saw this recipe in Indosungod's blog. I tried it right after I saw her post. It was so tasty. It goes great with chapathis or pooris. I followed her recipe verbatim. Thank you for posting such a lovely dish! Onion lovers should definitely try it.




Ingredients:
Onions-2 small(thinly sliced lengthwise)
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Oil-2 tbsp
Chopped garlic-2 pods
Chopped ginger-1/2 tsp
Salt
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder
Tamarind-small lime size
Jaggery-1 or 2 tsp

Method:
Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup of warm water and set aside.
Heat oil in a pan. Tamper mustard seeds. Add sliced onions, ginger and garlic. Sprinkle some salt. Fry till onion turns golden brown. Extract water from tamarind. It should be thick. Add it to the onions. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, more salt and allow the mixture to cook for about 10-15 minutes or until the raw smell of tamarind goes off and oil starts to float on top.
Finally add jaggery powder and mix well.
Serve hot with chapathis/pooris.

I am excited to tell you all that I won second place in Eat-healthy during pregnancy event.

Sangeeth did a great job hosting this event. I thank her for giving me an opportunity to participate in this event.

Many thanks to all my friends and relatives who voted for me. I really appreciate it. I feel very encouraged and motivated.

I also thank Anudivya for sharing her version of sugarless laddoos. I modified her recipe and made to suit my taste. You can find the winning recipe-dates and nuts fudge/cake in the menu.

Last but not the least, I thank my father and his colleagues for voting and taking so much interest in following the results till the last minute. One of my father's colleagues sent me an email to congratulate me.