Thursday, January 08, 2009

Lima Beans Pulao



I was tempted to try Indosungod's butter beans pulao. I thought butter beans and lima beans were different. I just figured out that they are one and the same. What I like about lima beans is it's buttery texture. It just melts in your mouth. I made some changes to the original recipe to suit my taste. It turned out very very tasty!

Ingredients:
Basmathi rice-1 cup
Frozen Lima beans(I used baby lima beans)-1/2 cup
Onions thinly sliced-1/2 cup
Green chilli(slit)-1
Finely minced garlic-3 pods
Oil-2 tbsp
Coriander leaves-to garnish
Salt

Whole spices:
Cloves-3
Cinnamon-2 inch stick
Bay leaf-1
Cardamom-2
Star Anise-1

Spice powders:
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Coriander powder-1 tsp
Kitchen king masala powder-1/2 tsp

Method:
Rinse the rice and soak it in 2 cups of water for 15 minutes.
Heat oil in a pan. Add whole spices. After a few seconds, add onions, garlic and green chilli. Fry till onions turn brown. Add spice powders, salt, and lima beans. Saute for 15 seconds. Transfer this mixture and rice(along with water) to rice cooker and cook till done. Check for salt.
Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with yogurt/raitha and chips.