Sunday, May 10, 2009

Dhokla





Picture courtesy: My husband

Mother's day is not yet over. So here's wishing all moms happy mother's day!

I was wondering what my mom's favorite dish was? I could hardly recollect 2-3 dishes. Because mom always made sure she cooked food that my Appa and I liked the most. So today, I thought why not make her favorite dhokla. I came across this recipe in Manjula's kitchen. I like watching her videos. I have even met her once in San Diego. Dhoklas came out very soft and yummy. You should try it. I followed the recipe word by word. I steamed the dhoklas in idli plates.
You can find the original recipe here.

Ingredients:
Mix these ingredients together and let it rest for 30 minutes:
Sooji/Rava/Semolina-1 cup
Yogurt-1 cup
Water-1/4 cup
Salt
Hing-a pinch
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Green chilli chopped-1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves(Cilantro) chopped-2 tbsp
Coconut grated-1 tbsp
Lemon juice-2 tsp

To season in 1 tbsp oil:
Jeera-1 tsp(optional)
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp

Other ingredients:
Eno fruit salt-1 tsp

Method:
Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and jeera and allow it to crackle. Pour this to the batter that has been sitting for 30 minutes.
Add eno fruit salt. Mix the batter well.
Steam on high flame using greased idli plates for 12 minutes.

I am not going to buy dhokla mix from stores anymore. I have the perfect recipe now!